I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears, behold I will heal thee.
2Kings 20:5

PitaPata Horse tickers

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday Sunshine: Serving Others

I realized it's been a while since I posted a "Sunday Sunshine" post and today at church we focused on service and charity. No matter what religion you are, charity and serving others is probably a big part of your life and beliefs. We have a Relief Society in the LDS church which focuses on service and helping the women of our church. Christ is the perfect example of serving others, he taught us how to perform selfless works of charity and show a pure love for our neighbors.  It is important to remember that God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom.

I have experienced first hand the love and charity of others service and Christ like love for me. In October 2007 we still had not received much hope from transplant centers that I would be accepted as a potential organ recipient. We had hope and faith that God had a plan for me. I could not do it alone. Bryan and I sold our house, and pretty much everything else that had any value or that was a debt for us so we could be prepared to move/travel for a transplant. However, we did not have enough resources or money to be able to do what it was going to take to get a transplant. That is where we had to humble ourselves and ask for help from others.  It's hard to 'ask for help' and admit that 'we couldn't do it on our own'.  I prayed for help, strength, and for a way for us to have what we needed. . . . . my prayers were answered through the service of people from church, community, friends, family and from people who didn't even know me. Friends AND  strangers who heard of my need and had the compassion and means to help. I was very blessed to have had the opportunity to attend the spaghetti fundraiser the day before I left for Pittsburgh. I was very sick, much sicker than I thought I was.  When I saw the amount of people who took their time and gave their money to benefit me and help me raise the money we needed for the transplant, I was strengthened. Every penny donated was confirmation that God heard my prayers and he works miracles through others. I will never be able to thank everyone who helped me in whatever way they did. .  . . but not a day goes by that I don't think about all the service and love I received and I am thankful and reminded of all that service with every breath I take.  People gave of their time, talents, love and resources and they all were a part of the miracle!

Service to others deepens and sweetens this life while we are preparing to live in a better world. It is by serving that we learn how to serve. When we are engaged in the service of our fellowmen, not only do our deeds assist them, but we put our own problems in a fresher perspective. When we concern ourselves more with others, there is less time to be concerned with ourselves! In the midst of the miracle of serving, there is the promise of Jesus that by losing ourselves, we find ourselves! [See Matthew 10:39.]

Photobucket  Save a Life...Be Someone's Hero...  
 Be An Organ Donor!

No comments:

Where to start to learn about my transplant!

Thank You for taking the time to read my blog. I am hoping that through this blog and my experiences that I can bring hope, faith and strength to all that may be living with Cystic Fibrosis, CF with Cepacia and Lung Transplant recipients. Information and blog entrees start Nov. 07. My Double Lung Transplant was on Dec. 10th 2007. Please feel free to read about my experience and ask me any questions! My email address is jamiebug77@gmail.com

My Story - Pause Music Player First

Popular Posts

My Testimony

It's hard to put into words how I feel toward my Heavenly Father and the Savior. I have so many reasons to be thankful for what I have gone through & endured. Because of my trials in life I have gained a strong testimony of Faith. I have always had Faith in the Lord and in Prayer. As I faced the decision to get a double lung transplant I had to rely on faith to make the choice.....By listening to the spirit, I was guided to Pittsburgh where my life was saved. I believe prayers are answered. I have always tried to follow the philosophy of this: If I do what the Lord expects of me, he will give me what I want & need. That has always worked for me. I Believe in MIRACLES..........My life on this earth is a miracle- I prayed on my knees for years to be healed from my lung disease. I knew that through a priesthood blessing (if it was God's will) I could be healed. So many times I thought he would heal me instantly...my faith was tested as I continued to get sick and no cure was in my future. I turned to prayer....I talked to my Heavenly Father, I cried to him and he heard me and he healed me by guiding me to Pittsburgh and guiding the surgeons hands. I learned humility, and thankfulness. I realized that we need others to lean on and we are supposed to strengthen each others testimonies. I learned that the hardest things we'll do are usually the greatest blessings in our life. I was able to experience a lot of things during surgery and I know I had comforting angels in my ICU room. THe Lord knows each of us by name and he will never leave our side. We need to remember to stay close to him and have Faith that he is watching over us. I know this for a fact! I know that following the gospel will bring us true happiness- the world will tell us otherwise, but I know I am truely happy & living the gospel has brought me that. Amen