I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears, behold I will heal thee.
2Kings 20:5

PitaPata Horse tickers

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Stressed?

I got this blog topic idea from a fellow CF blogger. I kinda liked the idea. It's a subject I really don't think I have blogged about much. Well stress as a 'dictionary' definition is: tension: (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense; difficulty that causes worry or emotional tension.
So I am going to share my experiences with stress now. I had stresses before my transplant typical life stuff and CF stuff and almost dying stuff :) But now my stresses are incredibly amplified! I would have to say the above definition pretty much nails it. I take prograf (my anti-rejection) medication and it is a pretty tough drug. . . .think about it, it keeps my body from recognizing my lungs and keeps my body from rejecting them. . . so it must be pretty potent stuff and what else does it do the body?? I mean it gave me dementia for weeks after transplant!!

Well here is actual common side effects: Back pain; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; joint pain; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach pain or upset; trouble sleeping; vomiting. I also notice Prograf causes tremors. And I am pretty sure it directly affects my ability to cope with stress/anxiety.

Also I take prednisone. . .lets review those common side effects. You can view a full list of the side effects but I will just mention a few here: insomnia, anxiety, nervousness, hyperactivity just to name the ones that apply to this post.

So to just help myself realize that the days I feel like I am going crazy or my anxiety seems through the roof, then I just remind myself that I have a lot of drugs running through my body :) I owe a lot to Bryan ~ he understands me, he knows that I get a little loaded up on all this stuff that sometimes alters my normal reactions to things. I also find working out and exercising help reduce my anxiety and stress as well. Stress/anxiety is one of the hardest things I struggle with post transplant, but I try to control it and keep it as low as I can :)

Save a life * Be Someone's Hero * Be an Organ Donor

2 comments:

bo said...

Prograf doesn't keep your body from recognize your new lungs. It prevents certain cell-mediated reactions (that exist in part BECAUSE your body knows those aren't your lungs) that reduce your body's ability to fight them. It's fascinating.

I don't know why it causes the tremors, though. I can't find a solid answer that but intend to ask Pelewski next month. I always feel bad for Ash when she's shaking like that.

Cammi said...

I hear ya! I find that keeping my mind busy helps but sometimes it just creeps in!

Where to start to learn about my transplant!

Thank You for taking the time to read my blog. I am hoping that through this blog and my experiences that I can bring hope, faith and strength to all that may be living with Cystic Fibrosis, CF with Cepacia and Lung Transplant recipients. Information and blog entrees start Nov. 07. My Double Lung Transplant was on Dec. 10th 2007. Please feel free to read about my experience and ask me any questions! My email address is jamiebug77@gmail.com

My Story - Pause Music Player First

Popular Posts

My Testimony

It's hard to put into words how I feel toward my Heavenly Father and the Savior. I have so many reasons to be thankful for what I have gone through & endured. Because of my trials in life I have gained a strong testimony of Faith. I have always had Faith in the Lord and in Prayer. As I faced the decision to get a double lung transplant I had to rely on faith to make the choice.....By listening to the spirit, I was guided to Pittsburgh where my life was saved. I believe prayers are answered. I have always tried to follow the philosophy of this: If I do what the Lord expects of me, he will give me what I want & need. That has always worked for me. I Believe in MIRACLES..........My life on this earth is a miracle- I prayed on my knees for years to be healed from my lung disease. I knew that through a priesthood blessing (if it was God's will) I could be healed. So many times I thought he would heal me instantly...my faith was tested as I continued to get sick and no cure was in my future. I turned to prayer....I talked to my Heavenly Father, I cried to him and he heard me and he healed me by guiding me to Pittsburgh and guiding the surgeons hands. I learned humility, and thankfulness. I realized that we need others to lean on and we are supposed to strengthen each others testimonies. I learned that the hardest things we'll do are usually the greatest blessings in our life. I was able to experience a lot of things during surgery and I know I had comforting angels in my ICU room. THe Lord knows each of us by name and he will never leave our side. We need to remember to stay close to him and have Faith that he is watching over us. I know this for a fact! I know that following the gospel will bring us true happiness- the world will tell us otherwise, but I know I am truely happy & living the gospel has brought me that. Amen